We decided that tonight we would let our parents know the big news. We were very excited to tell them, but didn't really expect the actual communication process to be all that difficult. We started by calling Neha's parents. Her dad picked up, but her mom wasn't home, so we told dad to have mom called back when she reached home (we wanted to have both of them together).
Then we tried calling my parents. No answer at the house.
Then we waited around for a bit. Then Neha's mom called...from the car, driving back home. That wasn't going to work either, so Neha claimed that the reception was bad, and Neha's mom said no problem I'll call your land line and Neha said she was eating dinner and Neha's mom was unwilling to give up the conversation and Neha said she'd just call the house in ten minutes. Nine minutes later, Neha calls her house, her dad picks up, and her mom still isn't home. Then her dad says he isn't feeling well and has to go to sleep. Then her mom finally calls back, and immediately says she has to get off the phone and will call back in a couple of minutes. She doesn't call back.
As you can imagine this is all quite frustrating. We want to break the big news!
Finally, Neha calls her mom back, and finally is able to tell her that she's going to be a Nani! We tell her that we found out on Sunday which immediately prompts a "why didn't you tell us then?" To be expected, I suppose. Of course, she was super excited and couldn't stop giggling. Neha's mom then wakes up dad, who, already in the full throes of sleep, congratulates us and gives us a couple of minutes before heading back to bed. Excited...but also sleepy. I guess that's fair.
Neha's mom thinks we should tell our siblings right away. Of course we'd love to, but we'd like to wait, just to be safe.
Then we called my parents again. Finally, my mom picked up; she had just gotten back from work. My dad, however, had gone to San Francisco for a meeting, so the whole idea of telling them together wasn't going to work. But we decided that we should just break the news anyways, because this was getting stupid. We told my mom that we found out on Sunday, and her immediate reaction? "Why didn't you tell us then?" At least the parents are consistent.
But she was so excited and, as I mentioned in the previous post, also quite surprised at the turnaround time (Neha had mentioned to her last week that we were trying). What can I say? I'm good. Neha told her to call her (Neha's) mom, so they could chat it up. I'm sure they're still talking, an hour after we first told them the news.
My mom was of the opinion that we should hold off on telling the siblings for a while...
Hour passes...
We just called my dad, who was en route to San Francisco. He picked up his phone on the plane, as it was taxing on the runway, and I told him the news. He was surprised and excited, but in sort of the uncomfortable position of being on a plane with people all around him. So he congratulated us (and kept saying "thank you!" when we congratulated him), and told us he'd call us back tomorrow.
So, um, not quite the everyone-all-together scenario we had initially envisioned, but now the parents know, which is good. Them knowing, however, also makes all of this MUCH more real. So I'm more nervous today than I was yesterday. Will that happen with each passing day?
Next week we go and see the doctor. I'm sure after that visit, all my hair will fall out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment