Tuesday, November 3, 2009

In Which I Realize Saavan Is Making Me Fat, And We Wonder If There's Something In the Water.


Alright, a new blog entry!

I think this is the first time since the inception of this blog that I've gone more than a month without posting.  That is impressive for two reasons: 1) I've been remarkably consistent in getting posts up since October 2007, and for that I should be proud; and 2) I went an ENTIRE MONTH without posting?  Man is that LAZY. 

October was a busy month for Saavan, with visits from friends, a trip to Michigan and his first football tailgate, but most importantly, Halloween.  Though Saavan was around for Halloween last year, he was a little too small for us to do too much with him; we ended up dressing him up as a dragonfly(?) and taking pictures of him chilling on our couch.  This year though, Saavan was ready to go all out, and we took advantage by dressing him up as a lion.  He was very scary.  Check him out:


Not cute!  Scary.

Saavan kind of got into the Halloween spirit, humoring us as we took him trick-or-treating around our neighborhood.  Neha was a big proponent of taking Saavan out so that we could, as a family, enjoy the experience together and create memories that will last a lifetime.  You can see Neha's excitement here:


Mom is excited!  Saavan is less enthusiastic.

I, on the other hand, was more excited about the candy.  Saavan is a finicky eater, as I believe I've already written (if I haven't, he is), so I figured that any candy he received would be mine for the taking.  Indeed, it would be...like taking candy from a baby.

God I'm awesome.

My plan worked perfectly, and I've been munching on Saavan's Halloween candy for the past two days.  I wasn't even put off by the disapproving looks of the candy-givers who saw right through my nefarious plan as soon as they opened the door.  They're just jealous that they don't have an excuse to eat all of their kids' Halloween candy.  Suckers.

While eating all that candy has been awesome, it has resulted in me becoming visibly fatter, such that I've vowed to lose 5 pounds as soon as I've eaten all of the remaining candy.  Said weight loss is unlikely.  What I have realized from all this though, is that Saavan is going to end up making me fat.  Not intentionally or maliciously, but because he doesn't eat anything, and I, as the dutiful dad, will almost certainly be called upon to eat everything that Saavan doesn't.  His Halloween candy was a good example.  And when Saavan doesn't finish his slice of pizza or a piece of chocolate cake?  It will fall upon my shoulders to make sure that food doesn't go to waste.  I'm actually quite proud that I'm so ready to take on this significant responsibility.  The problem, of course, is that this will invariably lead to me get fat (not that I'm not already).  But it's a small (and tasty!) price of being a good dad. 



Look at all this candy!  Daddy, get to work.

In matters unrelated to Halloween candy, this past month or so has been an incredibly eventful one in terms of our friends getting pregnant (or at least announcing it).  In all, eight of our friends/coworkers are currently pregnant.  We've learned about all of them in the last month.  It's crazy.  It's as if every other day another person calls us up and tells us they have "news."  What can explain this sudden rash of babymaking?  Personally, I blame the global economic meltdown.  Now that people have less money, they also have less to do.  Hence the rash of pregnancies.  It's the new baby boom.  And I'll say this: regardless of your politics, you'll have to agree that the government's recovery efforts have stimulated something

God I'm awesome.

I Give You A Video, And Some Pictures

The idea to dress Saavan up as a lion for Halloween was based upon the fact that he can roar on command in response to this question: "what does a lion say?"  Check it out:

 

It works better when he actually roars, and doesn't just say "roar," but you get the idea. 

Saavan's partner in crime, Saajan, dressed up as a skunk for Halloween, and was painfully cute.  Our hope was to get the kids together at school in their costumes and take a picture of them, but their daycare teacher told us that the school's big Halloween party was on Monday, two days after Halloween, when it was actually on Friday, one day before Halloween.  I'm not too upset about this piece of misinformation that ruined the chance for some wonderful photographs, but I am weeping openly as I write this.  My hope is to get the boys together at some other time for their photos, but dressing them up outside of the legitimate Halloween window (one day on either side) is a little strange.  Whatever we'll do it anways. 

I participated in my first trial this past month, so I didn't get to hang out with Saavan or do as much fun stuff as we would have liked.  But we did take a trip to the National Building Museum with Saavan's good buddy Kavi (a.k.a the Kav-Train).  I'm not really sure what is in the National Building Museum other than a giant atrium and a play room with lots of toys, but when you're between the ages of 16 and 20 months, that's really all you need:


This museum has toy trucks!


Kavi can't decide whether this toy is cool or lame.  Leaning towards lame. 


Saavan contemplates a career as an auto mechanic.  (Picture actually just excuse to show off Saav's sweet pants.)

The pictures above are from the National Building Museum's playroom.  As I mentioned, the other awesome feature of the museum was the giant atrium - perfect for toddler sprinting!


Look at all this open space!  It's way more fun than my house!  (Said Saavan, not Kavi.)

Indeed, Kavi and Saavan spent a good half an hour running around in the atrium's vast open expanses, trying to sneak over to the area in which the museum staff was setting up for a gala that evening, trying to destroy the floral arrangements.  They had a great time, but at the end, were absolutely exhausted:


Dude.  We need to get in shape.

Man after all this writing I'm tired too.  And thus I'm calling it a night, my monthly blog entry now complete.

God I'm awesome. 

No comments: