We had another OB/GYN appointment yesterday morning. Our main OB/GYN is a woman, but her practice partner is a dude, and yesterday it was the dude who was doing the checkup. So, of course, I had to attend the appointment, to, you know, keep it professional. Or something.
As it turns out, our gentleman doctor was super nice, and had me put my finger on Neha's stomach, just below her bellybutton, and press down. "Feel that!" he said excitedly, "that's the top of her uterus!"
"Oh yeah!" I responded. "Amazing!"
I didn't really feel anything though. I don't think I was pressing down hard enough. I would have voiced a concern, but the doctor seemed quite confident that there was something to feel, and that everything was progressing nicely, so I didn't want to embarrass myself by admitting that I couldn't feel Neha's awesomely-progressing uterus. Sigh. Maybe I wasn't cut out to be a doctor. Which is good, given that I'm not.
But enough of that. The point of this post was to tell you how the appointment ended - with us making our next appointment. Which will include a sonogram. Which will allow us to find out the sex of The Baby Vohra! Very exciting. We'd decided a while back that we don't want to find out, but now that we actually have the opportunity, we can't help but reconsider. It's pretty exciting stuff, and with the knowledge, we can paint The Baby Vohra's room either blue or pink (instead of having to go with gender-neutral beige). So maybe we should find out. Plus if we choose not to find out, I'd hate the idea that the x-ray tech and the doctor who looks at the sonogram will know the sex of The Baby Vohra, but we won't.
At the same time, it would be amazing to find out only once The Baby Vohra is born, the way it's done on TV, where the doctor shouts "it's a [redacted to avoid suggesting a preference of one sex over the other]!" And we'd really like all our friends and family to be totally excited and surprised at the actual birth. If Neha and I find out beforehand, I can't speak for her, but there's no way I could keep the secret. There's a good chance I might tattoo the information on my forehead. Actually that would be sweet, though not as sweet as this guy.
All of this is a long way of saying that we aren't going to find out The Baby Vohra's sex. Unless we do.
Additional happy note! Yesterday we found out that one of our new couple friends out here in DC is also preggers! And they're due July 4, like two weeks after us! The news is just terribly exciting. I'm already planning playdates and joint trips to the zoo in my head. And you know what our friends' pregnancy means, don't you? Another member of 'N(Dian) Sync.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
don't find out dude. your only role in this whole thing (ehh well your only other role) is to come out and announce the gender. also then there wont be any gender/date baby pools. also I will stop reading the blog in protest.
we just had our last sonogram last week...and the dr specifically told us to look away because she was looking between the legs. kind of a bummer that she knows, but, it's so worth it to not know till that day. because you know, that day will be so anticlimactic otherwise.
Post a Comment