Saavan, checking to see if we have termites.
We've gotten numerous questions about Saavan's name. How we came up with it, where it came from, what it means, etc. "Saavan" is actually the hindi word "sawan," which means "rainy season." We changed the spelling because there is no way anyone was going to properly pronounce our boy's name after seeing it spelled "Sawan." Even the way it's currently spelled, there's a good chance it will be mispronounced. Sigh. If only we'd named him "Jack."
As to where we got the name, anyone at all familiar with Neha knows that the biggest regret in her life is that she didn't grow up in India and star in Bollywood films. Though the Bollywood train passed Neha by, that has not stopped her from singing Hindi film songs at all times. One of the songs she constantly sings is this one (I cannot embed the video, which angers me so much I'm thinking of changing Saavan's name). Obviously, "sawan" features prominently in it. Around the same time she was singing this song regularly, we were also in half-joking, half-serious discussions about what we wanted to name kids if we were ever to get pregnant (this was a long time ago). I suggested we should use Sawan as a name, mostly because I'm awesome, but also in part because it sounded like "seven," which had been certified as a cool name based upon the fact it was what Andre Benjamin named his kid (George Costanza approves). Much to my surprise, Neha agreed (that Saavan was a nice name; she thought naming a kid "seven" was stupid). As a result, "Saavan" was basically our #1 name for a boy from the outset. In the last couple of months, Neha tried to pull some stunts and argue for the consideration of other names, but as the man, I made it clear we were sticking with Saavan. And by "made it clear," I mean "told Neha she could name the baby whatever she wanted."
At this point you're probably thinking, "this is bullsh*t. I'm only here to look at pictures of the baby." Fine. You animals. Some new eating/pooping/sleeping pictures from this past week below:









No comments:
Post a Comment