This is some big news!
After a very shoddy year of blogging in 2010 (11 total entries, compared to 86(!) in 2008), I have no choice but to pick up the pace in 2011. Why? Because 2011 is the year of “The Baby Vohra: The Sequel.”
Yes, that’s right – in 2011, Saavan becomes a big brother! We couldn’t be more excited. (I choose to ignore what the cost of college will be in 16 years.) The two kids will be almost exactly three years apart (The Sequel is due in mid-June), meaning, hopefully, they develop their own personalities separate and independent from one another, but at the same time are close enough to keep one another occupied when we’re on vacations so we don’t have to hear them complain about being bored.
Is the Sequel Mr. Potato Head?
Of course, The Sequel will bring its own set of challenges – we’ve yet to meet a single parent of multiple kids who has described the early days with a second kid as anything other than totally exhausting. And we know with the second kid, you can no longer run a double-teaming defense on the first; you’ve got no choice but to switch to man-to-man. I for one was always comforted by the fact that if I had any trouble with Saavan, I could just pass him off to Neha. Not anymore!
Likely the biggest challenge for me: updating the blog. This may sound glib, but it’s a serious concern. Prior to Saavan’s birth I documented everything that happened in such awesome detail that people would come up to me and be like “Anuj – the blog is so awesome that you should turn it into a book that would then be optioned into a movie in which you would be played by Ryan Reynolds!” (To which I respond, “Leonardo DiCaprio.”) After Saavan’s birth, blogging became harder, mostly because there was a lot less time to write.
Are you the Sequel?
But that doesn’t change the fact that I did write a ton about Saavan, and if I don’t write the same amount about The Sequel , it (we don’t yet know the sex) will feel that its gestational period was neglected. That’s not the case though! There just isn’t as much to write about, because I’m not quite as clueless and stupid as I was the first time around. (Although to be fair, I’m still pretty clueless and stupid.) For example, with our first pregnancy, I spent a ton of time freaking out about the proper way to hug Neha while she was pregnant so as to not harm the baby. Of course, now I know that the best practice is to simply not show your wife any affection at all while she’s pregnant.
Nonetheless, Sequel, because duty calls, you shall be the subject of many blog entries, such as how Saavan reacts to having a younger sibling (sometimes he’s excited about being a big brother, other times he’s adamant that he won’t share his toys), and whether your parents succumb to the minivan’s siren song. It will, without a doubt, be totally awesome. And I promise to rarely cut and paste any of the old stuff.
Now I'll have someone to play ping-pong with!
No comments:
Post a Comment