With the Sequel on the way, Saavan sets out to prove his worth.
When Neha was pregnant with Saavan, we decided that we weren't going to find out the baby's sex prior to delivery. We figured being surprised would add to the experience and make it all the more amazing, and that our reaction to whatever the baby turned out to be would be totally organic and unprepared. And it was. When Saavan came out with a penis, I dropped to my knees and thanked God for blessing me with an heir to the throne. (Although I would have been totally happy with a girl. I swear!)
Little boys wrestle constantly.
This time around we figured that being surprised took a backseat to bring prepared, and so last week, we found out the Sequel's sex. And once again, it's a boy! (Thus the title of this post.) Athough we would have been ecstatic no matter what the Sequel's sex, as a young father already dreading the prospect of having to put two kids through college, having another boy allows us to reap some definite economic rewards. First, two boys means that we can get bunk beds so that they'll sleep in one room. Which frees up another room in the house meaning that it'll take at least a little bit longer for us to outgrow our house. Second, another boy means that we can dress the Sequel in Saavan's hand-me-downs, at least until he rebels and starts demanding his own stuff. But I figure we have at least four years. Third, no dowry! I can breathe a huge sigh of relief.
But they keep each other occupied...
Financial considerations aside, I'm excited about the Sequel being a boy because I'm hoping that that the brothers, being close in age (they'll be less than three years apart) and living in such close quarters for a long time, will become close friends. That's something I'd like to see, and hopefully Saavan can serve as a good role model to the Sequel. (Saavan is generally awesome, so I'm optimistic.) Short of that, hopefully they'll keep each other busy on our family vacations so we don't have to hear either of them whine. Eventually, I imagine the two brothers moving into some city after they both finish college and living together in an awesome apartment (in either NYC, DC, Chicago, or San Francisco), for which I'll have an open invite to come and visit and hit the bars. We will be soooo cool.
Little boys run incessantly and fight with each other all the time and totally tire their parents out. We can't wait.

No comments:
Post a Comment