Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The World's Best Baby Flyer...


So it turns out the horror stories about flying with infants are greatly overrated. Or at least they were for us. We spent the last week being terrified at the prospect of flying with Saavan, working under the assumption that once his ears popped as a result of the change in altitude, he would become an unstoppable crying machine, whose shrieks would shatter the plane's windows and depressurize the cabin. That would have sucked. We seriously considered giving Saavan a shot of whiskey before the flight to calm his nerves.*

As it turns out, flying turned out to be an awesome experience for a variety of reasons. First, the normally-evil airline-counter employees were not nearly as evil. Because we'd booked out tickets late, Neha and I didn't have seats together, and we were sitting at the very back of our plane. When I mentioned this to the airline guy checking our bags, he not only got us two seats together, he put us at the very front of the plane (still in coach of course. We would never DREAM of being seated in first class). Then, when we were waiting for the plane to board, I walked Saavan around the terminal, showing him all the various planes outside, and all the various people inside at the magazine stands who attempt to discreetly look at the girly magazines without being noticed. We know what you're looking at, perv. Wherever I took Saav, people couldn't help but smile at us. I think people just really appreciated my handsomeness. I guess Saavan brings it out in me.

Finally, because we were allowed to board the plane first, and were sitting near the front, pretty much everyone had to walk by us on the plane to take their seats. Which means that everyone got a good long look at Saavan as they passed. Which means we were subjected by a constant stream of "ohmigod he's so cute and tiny and has so much hair!" My favorite was the girl who told us she loved our stroller. Because I love our stroller too!

As for the flight itself, Saavan was kind enough to sleep pretty much the entire time. The ultimate compliment we received was when we were getting off the plane and a lady sitting across the aisle told us she didn't even realize we had a baby (Neha had him somewhat hidden under a blanket). What was totally awesome? As soon as we got off the plane, Saavan started shrieking uncontrollably. At least he couldn't depressurize the airport terminal.

*We did not seriously consider giving him a shot of whiskey. Please do not alert the authorities.

More pictures! Visits from Will, Kumar, Sundeep, Zak, Nicole, Kajal and Annie!

No comments: